Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Beginning

I love food but I am broke and not the best cook, and yet I have been surviving on a $20 a week grocery budget. I can scarcely believe it myself. This blog will be my attempt at documenting the experience.

My rules of thumb:

$20 a week (on average) is for food only, not incidentals like light bulbs or laundry detergent.

As much as possible, everything I buy is a raw ingredient. I can't or won't make my own cheese or tortillas, but I have done a lot with milk, flour and eggs. A bag of potato chips is not an option however.

My advantages:

I am female, so I don't need to eat that much anyway.

I live alone and don't entertain much; if I do, it will be outside the $20 budget.

I have a well-equipped kitchen, though it is a small city kitchen.

bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment