Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Quesadilla

If you are like I was, you need to be told how to make a quesadilla, and yet it is one of the easiest, quickest and cheapest things I know how to make for dinner. It is faster than waiting for takeout and easier than making a grilled cheese sandwich (which is basically what it is).

My most basic quesadilla is a flour tortilla and pepper jack cheese, folded in half and cooked with a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium flame for about 3 minutes on each side. I nearly always make two at once; the two half-moons fit neatly in the pan and it's just the right amount that seems to satisfy me.

If I have enough coriander I put a few springs on top of the cheese; I've also included chopped spring onions, chives, sauteed sweet onions or diced red onions. You could also include chopped jalapenos or some chili powder.

When they're done I'll top them with salsa or mashed avocado.

Quesadillas were one of the first things I taught myself to make when I got back into cooking, when time was more of an issue than money, but now that money is the issue quesadillas are still on heavy rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment